COPP HEROES FINAL CEREMONY
The COPP Heroes Memorial Fund was established in 2010 to raise awareness of the COPP (Combined Operations Pilotage Parties) contribution to the allied war effort in WW2, and to raise funds to create and maintain a fitting memorial to these wartime heroes on the seafront at Hayling.
The top secret COPP Depot was set up in 1943 on Hayling Island under the instruction of Lord Mountbatten. Small teams of sailors and soldiers trained as frogmen and canoeists for covert beach reconnaissance and other essential clandestine operations prior to the Allied landings on enemy occupied territory throughout the world.There are now very few members of the unit still with us.
Dan Snow narrated a film that we made covering the first time we saw the granite embedded in a Cornish Quarry to its arrival on Hayling Island and the proceeding Memorial Services held at its location.